This is a temporary (1 year) full-time, non-exempt position. This position is responsible for conducting algal research and developmental activities as directed by the Director of Applied Research. The primary responsibility will be to manage algal cultivation at intermediate and large (90,000 L) pond scales in support of a grant to investigate use of carbon dioxide captured from the atmosphere in algal mass culture. The individual will work with the Director of Applied Research, other members of Cyanotech staff, and other participants in the grant to prepare the culture, and to monitor the performance of the culture before and during the operation of the device used to capture the carbon dioxide from air.
This is not a supervisory position.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Assists Director of Applied Research and his designates in identifying, prioritizing, designing, and implementing cultivation procedures and research projects that are within the scope of the funded project, with emphasis on algal cultivation in 90,000 L ponds. At least 50% of time will be spent outdoors, working with the ponds and the equipment needed to run them, including forklift and truck operation.
- Prepares Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and other documentation as appropriate for the methods developed within the scope of this project.
- Ensures lab and production-facility readiness as appropriate:
• Identifies need for, and ensures ordering of, chemicals and other supplies.
• Maintains work areas and equipment in an operational, clean and safe condition.
• Provides samples for chemical analyses and other assays of algae/algal projects and conducts such assays as appropriate.
- Keeps a comprehensive lab book and digital data log to facilitate good research project management.
- Works effectively with other personnel engaged in the research, as well as with other R&D staff.
- Performs all necessary tasks as directed by the supervisor.
- Complies with GMP and safety guidelines in all work duties. Helps maintain a safe workspace.
- Presents regular verbal progress reports on research projects to the Director of Applied Research and peers. Creates written summaries of reports and research as appropriate, by request of the Director of Applied Research.
- Performs other duties that may be assigned.
This position requires standing, working outdoors with ponds, pond infrastructure, and related equipment, as well as occasional work at a lab bench and at a computer. Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces safely and climb tall platform ladders. May include occasional lifting up to 50 pounds.
The work is performed inside under laboratory conditions, and outside in a sunny warm climate. Position requires some handling of chemicals, with appropriate personal protective equipment. Protection from sun exposure may be required.
- Two or more years of algal laboratory experience is preferred
- Two or more years of large-scale algal production/aquaculture experience preferred. • Ability to work efficiently and cooperatively in a fast-paced manufacturing environment. • Proficiency in PC-based computer applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Strong problem-solving aptitude.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changes in work assignments.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills, as well as analytical testing skills. • Able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Management reserves the right to change this job with or without notice.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com