This is a full-time, non-exempt position. This position is responsible for conducting research and developmental activities as directed by the Director of R&D. The individual’s primary responsibility will be to assist and guide the Cultivation and Manufacturing departments through algal research via literature review, data analysis, wet-bench laboratory work, strain isolation and identification, and outdoor pond experiments. Secondary responsibilities may occasionally include analytical tasks related to other departments such as Supply Chain or Sales & Marketing. This role includes both collaborative and independent work.
This is not a supervisory position.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Works with the Director of R&D to identify, prioritize, design, and execute applied research projects, at all scales, that are focused on optimizing operations and maximizing return on investment. • Learn new tasks quickly and adapt to frequently changing task list.
- Compile information from the scientific and commercial communities on microalgae and other organisms relevant to commercial microalgae production.
- Monitor, isolate, and identify novel pests and weeds in production cultures, as well as training other personnel in such identification.
- Isolate and identify new microalgal species for use in commercial production. • Maintain, preserve, and develop the laboratory culture library as necessary.
- Analyze scientific data.
- Keep a comprehensive lab book and digital data log to facilitate good research project management. • Work effectively with other personnel in the company.
- Frequently and meaningfully contribute to scientific discussion and debate in a healthy, professional manner.
- Perform, when needed, basic laboratory tasks such as making media and stock solutions, maintaining laboratory space and equipment, ordering chemicals and other supplies, autoclaving labware, collecting data, etc.
- Occasionally perform chemical analyses of algae/algal projects as well as assays necessary to complete research projects in the service of company goals.
- Perform all necessary tasks as directed by the supervisor.
- Comply with GMP and safety guidelines in all work duties. Maintain a safe laboratory.
- Present regular verbal or written progress reports of research, as appropriate, to the Director of Research & Development.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned.
This position may require extended periods of sitting or standing at a lab bench or extended periods working outdoors on uneven ground in a hot environment. The individual must be able to walk on uneven surfaces safely, climb tall platform ladders, operate machinery for which training has been received and certified, and, on occasion, lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
The work is performed inside under laboratory conditions, and outside in a sunny warm climate. Position requires some handling of chemicals, with appropriate personal protective equipment. Protection from sun exposure may be required.
- Ten or more years of relevant laboratory or aquaculture experience.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel. Skills with R or Python programming are preferred. Skills with Statistical Analysis software is preferred.
- Strong problem-solving aptitude.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changes in work assignments.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills, as well as analytical testing skills.
- Able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Management reserves the right to change this job with or without notice.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org